Frequently Asked Questions

From scope of work to rates & fees - find answers to some of the most common questions we get asked.

Yes. Paralegals are licensed by the Law Society of Ontario and have strict rules and regulations that govern the profession. These include professional liability insurance and continues professional development.

Paralegals offer their services to the public requiring assistance with all civil disputes brought before the Small Claims Court, Summary Criminal Matters, Provincial Offences such as traffic tickets, and all other provincial legislation.

Paralegals can also represent before the 200+ Boards, Tribunals and Commissions, such as the Landlord and Tenant Board, Ontario Labour Board, WSIB, etc. Where Paralegals cannot assist is in Wills and Estates, Real Estate Transactions, Family Law and serious criminal matters.

Paralegals offer their services in specific defined areas of law, which makes paralegals uniquely suited to provide the effective and cost-efficient services that provide the same protections and skills that lawyers offer, at a much lower cost to the client.

The Ontario Small Claims court resolves disputes over money owed, damages to property, and breach of contract issues. The Small Claims Court can award damages (payment of money) up to $35,000.00.

Many people bring matters before the Small Claims Court even if the amount of losses is greater than the court’s limit. This is because it is often quicker and less costly to litigate a dispute before the Small Claims court, with the end result being that the client ends with more of their money quicker and with fewer costs associated with the process.

Absolutely not. We are happy to assist you with a consultation where you can ask all the questions you have. We also represent in limited scope capacity where we are hired to assist for a single hearing, or to review or draft documents for self-represented litigants.

We do not. For a couple reasons. The adage of “you get what you pay for” certainly applies for legal services. Free advice is not good advice.

Our education, training, and experience have tremendous value, and we are happy to share it with our clients, but for us to be able to continue to deliver superior service, we must make an income to be able to do so.

Glenlake charges an hourly rate for the vast majority of our services. Our fees range from $95.00 to $185.00 per hour. Landlord and Tenant Board matters include hourly fees and flat fees for drafting and serving of Board forms and applications.

Our consultations are billed at the time of confirmation of the booking (a partial refund is provided if the appointment is cancelled 48 hours in advance). A full retainer requires an upfront payment into the firm’s trust account, the amount of which is determined by the facts of the matter.

Yes. Glenlake offers ‘Limited Scope’ retainers where we do not go on record, but do appear on your behalf as your representative for whatever hearing you retain us for.

Our purpose is to serve our clients and we realize that working people need to work. We are happy to meet with our clients in person or virtually in the evenings and on weekends.

So long as the client has access to email and a scanner (or smartphone) we can provide most of our services via virtual means. Court and tribunal hearings can also be arranged to be held virtually.

Resolving issues with difficult and disruptive tenants is an area where Glenlake excels at. We have the experience and knowledge to provide solutions no matter what the tenant is doing.

Glenlake provides very effective tenant representation for tenants with serious issues with their landlords. Whether the landlord is trying to make the tenant’s life hell or is trying devious means to try to force an eviction, Glenlake has the experience and skills to defend your right to your home.

Yes. While the real estate transaction must be handled by a lawyer, hiring a paralegal to assist with the tenant is an excellent method of protecting your purchase.

We can assist in making sure your rights are protected while helping our client to achieve their goal, be it to grow their rental business or to be able to move into their purchased home.

This is not an uncommon issue. Glenlake can assist you with working with the city in the resolution of the work order, as well as with the tenant to ensure that the client is able to complete what is required.

Absolutely. Paralegals are trained in Alternative Dispute Resolution. Plus, the courts expect parties to attempt to resolve issues before they see the inside of a courtroom. Paralegals can engage in discussions with your neighbour in an effort to negotiate a resolution without the need for litigation.

Say nothing! Let them tell you what they want, politely thank them for their time, and advise them that you will consult legal counsel and get back to them (maybe). Ask for the officer’s business card and incident number.

Arbour and Fence laws are common issues that paralegals help parties resolve. If a negotiated resolution cannot be found, a paralegal is your best option to recover monetary damages.

Yes. Most “summary” offenses can be defendant by paralegals.

A summary offence is an offence which is resolved without a jury or indictment. It is a “less serious” offence versus its counterpart (an indictable offence) and is punishable by different sets of rules, regulations and lower sentencing guidelines.

Absolutely! Contractor disputes are one of the most common matters paralegals assist with. The Small Claims Court process, coupled with the education and experience paralegals obtain allows paralegals to provide a cost-efficient resolution process.

Yes. Again, collecting on unpaid invoices is something paralegal excel at. By utilizing the Small Claims Court paralegal are often far more effective, both in speed and cost, than collection agencies and lawyers.

Yes. Paralegals can help negotiate compensation for a product or service that did not meet the promised performance or result.

If no negotiated resolution can be reached, a paralegal can utilize the Small Claims Court or if the professional service has a regulator with a dispute resolution process, a paralegal can assist in representing a party before a regulator tribunal.

No. The Small Claims court can only issue a judgment for the payment of funds or the return of property. The Small Claims Court does not issue a judgment for “equitable relief”. However, the court can issue an Order in your favour for the cost of removing the fence.

Yes! Employment law is one of the many disputes that Glenlake Paralegal can assist you with.

Yes. Glenlake can assist an employer in the termination process to ensure that the business is protected with a reduced likelihood of litigation from the employee.

Absolutely. Paralegals are Commissioners of Affidavits and Notary Publics. As such, paralegals can commission and notarize all manner of documents, whether or not they are within the paralegal scope of practice.

Unfortunately, no, currently paralegals are unable to accept legal aid certificates.

Not Sure If You Have A Case?

If you're in need of legal advice - we can help. The team at GP Legal will work hard to understand what your issue is and how we can resolve it. We offer a comprehensive & affordable initial case assessment so you can move forward with confidence. Leave the heavy lifting to us - solving problems is our forte.



We offer high quality legal services with a team that possess a strong understanding of real-world experience and everyday life.

Small Claims

For a variety of legal matters valued at up to $35,000 - look no further - we do it all.

Learn More

Landlord Tenant

Wrongfully evicted? Not getting rent payments? Damaged property?

Learn More

Employment Law

Navigate unpaid wages, wrongful dismissal, and other workplace grievances.

Learn More

Notary Services

À la carte legal services, drafted documents, settlements & more.

Learn More